[Smaug] NFS with SuSE?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:38:07 -0700

Quoting Graham Freeman (graham@calteg.org):

> Your notes are useful and informative - thanks for the link.
>
> One update with regard to AFS:  Transarc was bought by IBM, who
> subsequently open-sourced AFS and announced their intentions to drop all
> support and development for AFS.  OpenAFS are the [relatively large] group
> of people who maintain the current iteration of AFS, now called OpenAFS.
>
> See www.openafs.org for more info.

Thanks, Graham.  I was aware of that.  You'll note that the URL I gave
for the Transarc client _is_ at ibm.com, and I'm familiar with the
licence history.  I'll add the openafs.org URL, though.  (Thanks for the
reminder.)

IBM still has a proprietary variant of the Transarc client software, in
addition to the OpenAFS one, or did when last I checked.  And, by the
way, there was a preexisting GPLed project called Arla, which has pretty
much ceased being maintained since IBM created OpenAFS under the IBM PL.

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.