[Smaug] NFS with SuSE?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:28:46 -0700

Quoting Ix Nichols (ix@armory.com):

> Are there any SuSE experts on this list? I'm trying to NFS mount an export
> from my Caldera box onto my SuSE laptop, and it hangs interminably (a sure
> sign that NFS isn't communicating properly).
>
> At install time I told SuSE not to start RPC by default, so I've been poking
> around in /etc/init.d, trying to start various scripts to get the right
> services running. Unfortunately, each linux and unix has it's own scripts and
> binaries for doing the NFS dance, and I don't know what SuSE's are. Can
> anyone here help me?
>
> The NFS server is running Caldera Workstation 3.1.1 and the client is running
> SuSE 7.3, if that matters.

You won't need to run the RPC portmapper on the client side, only on the
server side.

There are a whole lot of pointers on NFS debugging in my NIS & NFS
lecture notes, here:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lecture-notes/nisnfs
(Note especially the section labelled "Misc. debugging points".)  Tell
you what:  Why don't you have a look through that, and see if it fixes
your problem.  If not, let us know, and we'll have a crack at it.

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.