[Smaug] Zero tolerance for P2P?

Josh Neal josh at unixmercenary.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 06:34:01 -0700

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 11:45:09AM -0700, John Callaway wrote:

>    I realize that network administration is a tiring and thankless job.  As I
> pointed out earlier, my main beef is that this is a University network
> supported by public tax dollars.  Sure, a corporation's IT department is free
> to block as many ports as it wants, but shouldn't a place of learning lean
> more towards the open (and possibly copyright-infringing) end of the
> spectrum?  Also note that the network in question is NOT the general UCSC
> network, but rather the SOE network, used only by the depts. of math,
> computer science, and computer engineering's grad students and faculty.  No
> dorm rooms are connected to this network.

I wonder if the right answer is to provide two seperate IP networks: an unrestricted ("black") network, in which users have all the freedom they can bear, and a restricted, monitored ("white") network that the University maintains for academic use only.

-josh

--
Josh Neal
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."