[Smaug] Zero tolerance for P2P?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 21:02:10 -0700

Quoting John Callaway (john.callaway@visicomp.com):

> In addition to shutting down all networking, internal and external,
> they will have to also remove all CD burners (of which there is at
> least one in the grad lab at 340 JBE), Zip drives, floppy drives (if
> any of those are left), and printers.  Then, at last, the pirates will
> be defeated, or will they?

All mail will have to be scanned for yet another contraband technology,
MIME attachments:  You never know when someone might attach a cartoon
mouse to a message or newsgroup post.  For that matter, the dastardly
deed might be done with other forms of ASCII encoding -- or someone
might post the dialogue from the next Sylvester Stallone movie.

We might just have to revert to the telegraph -- and I have my suspicions
about evil things that might be concealed in Morse Code.

--
Cheers,               "That article and its poster have been cancelled."
Rick Moen                   -- David B. O'Donnel, sysadmin for America Online