[Smaug] Zero tolerance for P2P?

John Callaway john.callaway at visicomp.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 20:49:38 -0700

   In addition to shutting down all networking, internal and external, they
will have to also remove all CD burners (of which there is at least one in
the grad lab at 340 JBE), Zip drives, floppy drives (if any of those are
left), and printers.  Then, at last, the pirates will be defeated, or will
they?  Mr. Perrone may still lie awake at night knowing that someone might
figure out a way to use USB or parallel ports or even Van Eck phreaking or
some other electromagnetic conduit to smuggle copyrighted data out
(presumably the library computers, at least, will still have the capability
to display such work, if UCSC intends to continue to function as a
university).

   I wish I had the time and energy to take these people on, but I'm in the
final stages of my thesis and I work full-time.  I still suspect this was all
caused by a vague threat from the RIAA/MPAA.  I was on campus on Fri.
afternoon and the network was blazing fast (both within and without), so I
fail to perceive Mr. Perrone's "urgency."

|  John Callaway      |  www.cse.ucsc.edu/~callaway/       |
|  Software Engineer  |  VisiComp, Inc.  www.visicomp.com  |
PGP public key fingerprint
   ( John Callaway <john.callaway@visicomp.com> ):
83FC 5E0B B650 7D92 796F  EC27 BC6E AC0B 9AAD 5B69