[Smaug] Re: [SlugLUG] curious for a report

Karsten Wade phig at phig.org
Mon, 6 May 2002 00:11:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 5 May 2002, CERisE...mass consumer of bazooka gum wrote:

>    OOC, I wonder what the probability would be to get sponsored by some
> company with free linux CDs to hand out.  Doubtful, but that would be a
> fairly optimal solution.

Although not qualified to really know for certain, and certainly speaking
as an individual and not for a Big Corporation, I can guess that the
probability will be pretty low.

As an example -- I recently signed up on Guinness' Website to get a
freebie.  I took the usual 5 minutes and gave them the usual false
marketing information - making my name Karsten Guinness and my email
'guinness@phig.org', just to track the spam.  Then my freebie arrived the
other day, and I was all giddy for a few minutes.  What was it?  It was a
keychain with a mini-"bottle" of Guinness, which was just a puffy sticker
on a metal bottle shape.

Can you imagine getting this excited over keychain booty during the
height of the dot.bubble?

- k'

 Karsten  Wade           "As sharp as the leading
 karsten@phig.org        edge of a ball bearing."
 http://phig.org/gpg/              - Dallas Dobro