[Smaug] Mounting FreeBSD in Debian

Ignacio Solis isolis at igso.net
02 May 2002 17:49:59 -0700

---------------------- multipart/signed attachment

--=-g3+HKUYKP06PSnvSWUzY
This was intended for the list ...

-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Ignacio Solis <isolis@igso.net>
To: Rocker D'Antonio <rockerd1134@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Smaug] Mounting FreeBSD in Debian
Date: 02 May 2002 17:48:53 -0700

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 17:06, Rocker D'Antonio wrote:
>=20
> Thanks for your help. My FreeBSD partitions are Primary not logical (oops=
)=20
> but they ran fine when I was running FreeBSD on this server. When I run=20
> cfdisk it shows that the partitions exist, are FreeBSD type, and are=20
> primary. Still I get the bad fs, superblock or option error when trying t=
o=20
> mount.
>   Once again, thanks for your help,

Like I said and Rick said, are you using the correct partitions?  The
default behaviour is to install on a partition, but it then subdivides
the partition.

You might already know all this stuff, but for those who don't:

FreeBSD divides a disk into "slices". Those are the "partitions" we
normally refer to in Linux and Windows. Those slices are then subdivided
into pieces called "partitions" in FreeBSD. The FreeBSD partitions are
not the same as the Linux/Windows partitons.=20

So, you might have Linux partiton /dev/hdb1 as a FreeBSD type. This
means (most of the time) that it's subdivided. This will show up at boot
just like logical drives if the kernel can support it. So, you will have
to mount not /dev/hdb1 but /dev/hdb5 or something. (Depending on wether
you want FreeBSD-partition a....etc)

Nacho=20

--=20
In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are
different
GPG Public Key: http://www.igso.net/isolis.gpg
--=20
In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are
different
GPG Public Key: http://www.igso.net/isolis.gpg

--=-g3+HKUYKP06PSnvSWUzY
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...