[Smaug] Mounting FreeBSD in Debian

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu, 2 May 2002 17:39:23 -0700

Quoting Rocker D'Antonio (rockerd1134@hotmail.com):

> Assuming that I have the ufs moduel loaded in my kernel, dose anyone know
> how to mount a FreeBSD partition in Debian

Which type of partition table does it live in?  In FreeBSD, did you
create a BSD/Sun-style disklabel, or a DOS-type partition table?
FreeBSD can do either one.  Fortunately, Linux's /sbin/fdisk can deal
with either one, but you should be aware of which mode you should used,
in advance.

In any event, be careful:  The BSD UFS/FFS filesystem has so many
marginally compatible variants that it's difficult to say which ones
Linux can safely mount.  I haven't personally tried that in many years.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell