[Smaug] Meeting this Monday

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:40:01 -0800

Quoting Karsten Wade (phig@phig.org):

> As for myself, I think I might be more willing to help administer the site
> and fix these little bugaboos and such, but I have zero clue about how to
> do so.  It started as being in CVS, which I am competent enough to mess up
> (which I did first time), but I learn.  The current system was described
> in a post here at sometime, and when faced with a task to do I find I
> first have to find the instructions, and next thing you know I have
> dropped the ball.
>
> Can one of the people with clue about how to manage/update scruz.org
> please post here and on the site a basic HOWTO for doing things right and
> wrong?

Thanks for asking, seriously.

Thanks mostly to David Gatwood, with a bit of assistance from me, we
have some documentation of David's design available.

Starting at http://www.scruz.org/, take the Project Pages link, which
takes you to http://sourceforge.net/projects/smaug-web/ .  Notice that
the description paragraph says:

   Public Web site for the Smaug user group, in Santa Cruz,
   California, USA.  Be sure to see also our mailing list, at
   http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/smaug .  Interested in
   how this site works, or want to help?  Select "Docs" on the
   top navbar.

Find the Docs link on the top navbar.  That takes you to
http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=13487 .  You'll find three HTML
documents there:

The bottom one is something I wrote quite a few months ago, attempting
to document how to maintain the site, based on my own experience and
my understanding of David's design.  Later, David added the first of the
three docs listed, a very brief piece clarifying how his templates work,
and how/why to edit only the .sub files, never the .html ones.

The third doc is a tutorial on using CVS with Cygwin stuff, which I
found elsewhere, made Smaug-specific, and polished a bit.

> I would certainly be willing to post my meeting minutes and make sure
> that the meeting times are updated and filled with the proper
> information (as would fit the position of chairing the meeting).

Meeting notes can be added to meetingnotes.sub .  Currently,
upcoming-meeting dates/times/places go in index.sub and meeting.sub .

In short, all you need to do is check a copy of the site out of cvs,
edit your copy locally, and then do "cvs commit" (which will prompt you
for some CVS check-in comments).  The cron job will auto-update the live
site from the CVS repository at five minutes past each hour.

Full details are in my "How to Work on the Smaug Web Site" doc.  If you
find errors in the latter or think of ways it can be improved, please
just _edit_ it to fix it.  Thanks!

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers