[SMAUG] Looking for some sample data.

Ignacio Solis isolis@igso.net
Sun Mar 4 01:37:01 2001

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

Hi folks.

I'm new to the list so I'll say hi first. I can't make the meeting this time
but I'll definitely try the next.

Anyway, I'm writing a small utility to compress Ethernet-IP tcpdump dumps. =
I'm
looking for sample data dumps so I'm asking the people on this list. The id=
ea
is to get a "typical" dump (which is actually impossible, but oh well).

If you're interested in helping me out just run "tcpdump -w filename" and r=
un
it for a while then cancel with Ctrl-C. The file created will contain a dum=
p of
the traffic on the default network interface. It will only contain headers =
so
the data will not be saved. However, this dump will still contain informati=
on
about network (addresses, typical ports, etc) so if you don't want to share
this information _don't_ send it to me. Having said that I can say I will n=
ot
share the network information I get, I might use the statistical results
though.

If you send me a dump I'll send you some statistics back. (They'll be really
simple and not really useful :-). If you want some real statistics on your
network get ntop (www.ntop.org).

Thanks,

Nacho
=20