[SMAUG] questions and hi

Ronald Joe Record smaug@scruz.org
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:44:47 -0800

One more question i have for Mandrake/rasterman:

   - Could you describe in detail your development and
     release environments and processes ?

My brief comments on your comments interpolated below.
-rr-

Jacob Hunter wrote:

> excellent questions!
>
> This jogged my brain for more questions to add:
> >
> > Additional questions for Mandrake/Rasterman might include:
> >
> >    - What are some strategies/techniques for propogating
> >      alternatives to Microsoft especially in the workplace
> >      where everyone seems to be running Windows everywhere ?
> >      How can i, for example, convince a non-technical admin
> >      to run Linux/BSD/Whatever with KDE/Gnome/Enlightenment
> >      when all they know is Microsoft Office ?
> >

> Is the current Open Source office products (Open Office and StarOffice)
> currently a viable replacment, or do you think running WINE with a
> windows office product on top of Linux is a better idea (AKA what corel does)

And/or KOffice, GNOME Office (AbiWord, Gnumeric, GNOME-PIM, GNOME-DB, ...).
_What_ the office productivity suite is seems to me less important than _How_
the office apps can interoperate with the Microsoft Office users.

> >    - What "holes" are there in the Open Source world ? That is,
> >      what areas of development do they see as next on the horizon
> >      and where do we need to focus our efforts ?
> >
> >    - How can we leverage the emerging relationships between Open
> >      Source developers and Corporate Businesses like IBM, HP, SCO
> >      and the various Linux vendors ?
>
> I hear a plug for SCO chiming in! (just kidding)  =)

Not so much a plug for SCO but a desire to see the UNIX cathedrals build
bazaar wings and, conversely, the Linux bazaars to incorporate some features
of the cathedral development model.

> >    - What got them started in Open Source development and what kinds
> >      of things influence their direction ? How do they decide what
> >      to work on and how best to proceed ?
> >

> good question
>
> >    - How can we alleviate the chaos and confusion surrounding so many
> >      graphical desktop alternatives ? An ISV must go nuts trying to
> >      make an application KDE/Gnome/CDE/Enlightenment/WindowMaker/Fvwm aware.
> >

> yes... maybe we should address the topic of the lack of standards in Linux, and why
> that is good, and not good (ie allowing use of existiing technology like GIMP does,
> instead of using proprietary)
>
> >    - What plans are there for Enlightenment ? Will it evolve into a full blown
> >      desktop or simply exist as a window manager alternative or something else ?
> >      What features might propel Enlightenment up and out of the pack of
> >      perfectly servicable window managers ? What areas of Enlightenment
> >      development are hot right now ?
> >

> Have you every used enlightenment, e is the coolest desktop...  Do you mean a full blown
> desktop like KDE or Gnome?

Yes, i've used enlightenment and, yes, it's way cool. By "full blown desktop"
i mean something like KDE or Gnome or Windows with a launch pad, desktop icons,
some IPC mechanism - a pure iconographic environment.

> > More later. Oh, by the way, hi - i'm new to this list. My name is Ron Record
> > and I promote Microsoft alternatives and open source solutions within SCO.
>
> way cool!  off the record how do you feel about a Linux company taking over
> your company... are they going to try to phase out your unix products or use
> them?

I'm stoked about the Caldera/SCO deal. It will likely bring a lot more focus to
the Open Source work that i've been involved in. As for the Unix business, i guess
i should quote Ransom Love, CEO and founder of Caldera:

    "Caldera will further broaden and validate both the Linux and UNIX
     industries and communities, by providing open access to its unified
     Linux and UNIX technologies, and by offering support, training and
     professional services to customer worldwide. Caldera is fully committed
     to supporting and servicing the SCO OpenServer and UnixWare communities."

Sorry about quoting a CEO from a press release. I will be able to say more once
the deal is completed. I have a very good feeling about how Caldera is going to
drive Unix forward.