[SMAUG] questions and hi
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:19 PST
Additional questions for Mandrake/Rasterman might include:
- What are some strategies/techniques for propogating
alternatives to Microsoft especially in the workplace
where everyone seems to be running Windows everywhere ?
How can i, for example, convince a non-technical admin
to run Linux/BSD/Whatever with KDE/Gnome/Enlightenment
when all they know is Microsoft Office ?
- What "holes" are there in the Open Source world ? That is,
what areas of development do they see as next on the horizon
and where do we need to focus our efforts ?
- How can we leverage the emerging relationships between Open
Source developers and Corporate Businesses like IBM, HP, SCO
and the various Linux vendors ?
- What got them started in Open Source development and what kinds
of things influence their direction ? How do they decide what
to work on and how best to proceed ?
- How can we alleviate the chaos and confusion surrounding so many
graphical desktop alternatives ? An ISV must go nuts trying to
make an application KDE/Gnome/CDE/Enlightenment/WindowMaker/Fvwm aware.
- What plans are there for Enlightenment ? Will it evolve into a full blown
desktop or simply exist as a window manager alternative or something else ?
What features might propel Enlightenment up and out of the pack of
perfectly servicable window managers ? What areas of Enlightenment
development are hot right now ?
More later. Oh, by the way, hi - i'm new to this list. My name is Ron Record
and I promote Microsoft alternatives and open source solutions within SCO.