[SVLUG-Jobs] samba + lpr spooler appliance
alvin at mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Tue Jul 18 16:52:38 PDT 2006
hi ya "gurus"
- this is a paid position ...
and commensurate of your expertise and deliverables
- we are currently shipping some appliance widgets and have additional
markets we can also sell additional widgets
- i have a potential contract to develop/build/ship a headless
and keyboardless appliance that provide "samba and lpr spooler"
- delivery is end of the month ( july )
- "expert" implies, you can look at the config files for each app
and say that xxx option is missing or yyy option is not needed
under which circumstances
- every distro tend to use different set of options
in their config files...
- are you a guru class samba expert ??
- we will need to be able to configure smb.conf from
an rs232 serial console
- we may or may not be replacing their active directory
- we may or may not be replacing their pdc controller
- i'm closing my eyes to group calendering issues for now
as it is not on the task list ( required specs )
- are you a guru class cups expert ??
( i prefer lpr-ng but, that's not the spec )
- we will need to be able to configure the printer spooler
for the 4,000 different printers the customers oculd have
- the printer can be hooked up to the appliance or to the
remote jetDirect or remote PC
- additional wish list, i say, we should add and make available:
- x11 for config and debugging
- tk/tcl gui interface is my preference however the
customer wants rs232 lcd status displays and config
- the applicance is targeted for:
- customers are non-techie secretary with no hopes of
calling the "IT" dept in another country for help
- rs232 serial display with up/down/left/right/enter buttons
- i'm gonna be asking for x11 interface for ez development
of the appliance
- it will be on a fanless mini-itx motherboard
- it will most likely boot and run off 128MB compact flash image
( no /, /bin /usr directories on the flash or disks )
- appliance should be able to power off at any random
time by pulling the power ..
- i want to be able to remotely update these appliances
by replacing /boot/linux-consulting.img files whenever
the customers clicks "update to new version"
- it'd probably run FreeBSD-6.1 w/ upgrades/patches
- samba/cups demo feasability delivery date is end of july
- samba and cups need to be working with a gui
- those that want to use webmin are summarily disqualified as it
is NON-functional for the purposes we need and does not meet
the minimum specs
- wishlist projections ... 1,000 samba appliances for the first year
More information about the Jobs