[SVLUG-Jobs] NOC Technician, Engineer - San Francisco
EGironda at looksmart.net
Fri Sep 30 13:49:30 PDT 2005
I am the hiring manager for the following positions. We are looking for
people with 1-3 years of UNIX experience (Jr. - Mid level), and a good head
for troubleshooting. This is a full-time position in a 24x7 operation.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume in text format (no
attachments please) to jobs at looksmart.net and include "Network Operations
Center (NOC) Engineer" or "Network Operations Center (NOC) Technician" in
subject line as appropriate.
=Network Operations Center Technician=
Responsible for performing first level troubleshooting of LookSmart's
production services. Working with system administrators and senior NOC
staff, the Network Operations Center Technician monitors LookSmart's systems
and networks for problems, follows established corrective action procedures
and escalates when necessary. Part of a 24x7 support team, evening and
weekend working hours will be required.
* Perform basic administration, software installs and data updates on
LookSmart's systems and networks (80%).
* Work with senior NOC staff to maintain and update procedures for
problem resolution (15%).
* Interact with customers and partners to gather information on and
communicate status of LookSmart services. (5%)
* Basic understanding of Unix-based and Windows operating systems and
of networking and Internet principles.
* Ability to understand simple scripts in some administrative language
(Perl, sh, etc).
* 1 or more years of Unix system administration experience.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of
interacting with both technical and non-technical personnel to gather data
about production issues.
* Ability to reliably follow documented procedures.
=Network Operations Center Engineer=
The NOC Engineer is responsible for performing top-level troubleshooting of
LookSmart's production services. Working with system administrators, NOC
staff and management, developers and partners, the Network Operations Center
Engineer performs analysis of hardware, software and network problems to
expedite problem resolution. This position requires the ability to work
independently during the 2nd or 3rd shifts of a 24x7 operation, perform
basic troubleshooting to identify and correct problems in a production
environment, and to document those actions for junior staff.
- Serve as primary escalation point for Network Operations Center
Technicians in identifying, troubleshooting and resolving problems with
- Perform basic administration, software installs and data updates on
LookSmart's systems and networks.
- Work with the Systems Administration staff to develop and document
procedures for problem resolution and provide training to junior staff.
- Create tools and scripts for monitoring and managing production services.
- Interact with customers and partners to gather information on and
communicate status of interruptions in or degradations of LookSmart
- Solid understanding of Unix-based and Windows operating systems and of
networking and Internet principles.
- Ability to automate simple tasks in some administrative language ( Perl,
sh, etc ).
- 2+ years of Unix system administration experience, preferably also
including some network administration experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users
in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing basic
- Independent problem solving and self-direction.
- Programming experience in an applicable language.
- Familiarity with CVS or other version control systems (rcs, Subversion,
NOC Manager, Looksmart Ltd.
More information about the Jobs